Tuesday, September 14, 2010

plates, but not the paper kind.

I think I found my new hobby...and job. I discovered yesterday afternoon after seeing something similar in Hobby Lobby that I could do it myself. Yes, I'm turning into a DIY junkie. Seriously, it's sad. Here's what it is: PLATES. not ceramic or glass or paper, but BEAUTFUL PLASTIC PLATES. I have learned (through self explanation) how to paint a plate with something sentimental or inspirational to me (or whoever wants it). Heres how I got started. I am making a fall table for my upcoming jewelry party Thursday. I wanted to do a fall theme, because the table can remain decorated throughout this favorite season of mine. I wanted something to go along with the flower arrangements and pumpkins and candles. I wanted something inspirational--something to show thanksgiving during this time of year. I saw this gorgeous ceramic plate with a bible scripture on it at hobby lobby for $17.99. I put it in the basket, because it would complete my table and then continued to walk around the store. I stumbled upon these "plates" (they may actually be chargers) and thought wow those are beautiful and CHEAP! So I continued to look and then this thought popped into my head: "you can make a plate instead of buying this one!" OF COURSE! So I chose two plates and quickly went to the paint section to find paint markers for the piece. And can you say, paint markers are cheaper than I thought! So I put that $17.99 plate back grabbed these things along with a plate stand and headed home to paint away. Here is the outcome:



Beautiful? I know, right! This is a song that the church I visit in GA sings. It is an awesome song about being blessed. It is a very popular song in those parts and has become well known in a bunch of churches. I thought this would be perfect for my table. A placed a few of my decorations around it just for a sneak peak of my fall table. I'm way more excited about this than I should be. It's the simple things in life!


This is the other plate I made. This is my more favorite of the two. Neither of them are perfect, but they are personal and more sentimental than a store bought one. I also had to showcase mom's beautiful flower arrangements she made. Bought all the stuff for those at the dollar tree! Can you say bargain? I can't wait to put the complete table together for the jewelry party.
Now these plates have been a big hit amongst my facebook friends and people are wanting to buy them. What? I may need to start a business. Kidding! But for family and friends, I do not mind making them; I actually enjoy it! I will update with pictures of my complete fall table and the fabulous jewelry party fun Thursday. I will also continue to make plates and post pics of them. Get ready to fall into autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment